We are presenting one of our projects, the FireFly lamp. This is a new product with unprecedented performance in its class. FireFly is an accent light fixture with dynamic effects for illuminating objects of any size without having to rewire the lamp. With FireFly, you will create special effects for items that draw attention to them in museums, exhibition centers, showrooms, galleries, entertainment centers, and cruise ships.
The development of the FireFly project started with the formation of product requirements:
- The object of illumination is not static and constant (for example, changing exhibits in a museum).
- High-quality uniform luminous flux with a variety in brightness and warmth of light.
- Using two versions: white light with control of heat and RGB with the ability to adjust any shade.
- High coefficient of color mixing.
- Lamp control via DMX and Wireless DMX protocols.
- Changing the angle of the light beam.
- Changing the direction of the glow.
- The low noise level during operation.
- Efficiency: brightness, lightness, and compactness.
- The ability to build controlled lighting systems based on a lamp.
The mass distribution of LEDs has provided many new opportunities for the development of lighting technology. With the same characteristics as gas-discharge and incandescent lamps, LED lamps to have a number of advantages:
- more economical energy consumption;
- significantly longer service life;
- change not only brightness but also color.
But with the advantages, there are also problems in the design of the product: LEDs are “afraid” of overheating (because of this degradation occurs) and unstable power supply (they can burn out). This requires bulky radiators or active cooling.
The development of optics is the main stage in the creation of a product, which has defined the main requirements and limitations. The client of the project, Jofre Labortechnik, selected LEDs, and developed the lenses. The key know-how of the project is the variable angle of the light exit, the details of which we would like to leave undisclosed.
The lamp kinematics were designed based on the mass to be moved and the rotation requirements. FireFly has two axes of rotation: 358 degrees perpendicular to the lamp mounting plane and 210 degrees relative to the lateral plane. These solutions provide the ability to customize the lamp in four parameters:
- The direction of the light source in space.
- Variable angle of the light beam (zoom).
- Brightness control.
- Changing of color or color temperature.
After conducting simulations and a series of tests, we defined the requirements for rotational speed and limiting characteristics. Based on these the necessary internal components were selected and developed. To reduce the weight of the rotating elements and meet the requirements for compactness, the FireFly housing is made of aluminum. The lightweight of mechanics without loss of reliability and durability was made possible by the use of titanium as a material for some parts.
The client of the project, Jofre Labortechnik, developed electronics and software, and Verdesta, that is, we, design and mechanics.
The FireFly development processes were carried out in parallel, which allowed finding the best solutions in a short time. Along with this, the project required very clear management. The creation of FireFly is one of the examples of negotiability, productive cooperation, and competent communication when different teams united by a common goal move together towards success. The FireFly lamp has a large series, no less than 10 thousand units per year.
We are obsessed with complex and interesting projects in which we come up with non-trivial solutions. Verdesta is always ready and happy for such projects, where from the idea and sketch we go to the final product and can get satisfaction from the process and pride in the result.
Want to work with us? Connect with us via email@example.com or live-chat of the website. The messenger button is located in the lower right corner of the page